Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In search of a little peace and quiet

I have three kids. The oldest is four and the youngest 1 month old. I teach middle school. My day is spent with 100 sixth, seventh and eighth graders. There is very little quiet time in my day. I thought bicycling would help. Instead, I have realized how noisy everything is.


I start off in the morning. As soon as I step outside, I can hear the birds getting ready for the day. I get to enjoy this for a little more than three miles as I weave through the neighborhood and the short bike path. Then, I turn onto the main road.

Cars are loud. Even the cars that run well are loud. Tires, engines, radios all interrupt nature. They all demand that someone pay attention. It's this way for about six miles.

Then, the last two miles finish my trip on a quiet note. I ride down a road that is not travelled too much at 7:00am.

It's a good way to start the day at work.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: