Monday, March 24, 2008

Cycling and calories

I have ridden more in 2008 than I have ridden in the past couple of years.  I don't know the total miles.  Instead, I have only kept track of the mile I did not drive.  For example, today I rode for a couple of hours.  I only kept track of two of those miles because I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some lettuce for salad with dinner.  My legs feel like I rode 20-25 miles, but I do not know.


My wife has pointed out that the oatmeal and salad consumption in the house has increased dramatically since I decided to get back on the bike for the two mile challenge.  That got me thinking.  I have been bragging about CO2 not released and money not spent on gas, but how many calories have I burned?

This was not as easy as I thought.  Kent's Bike Blog has a calculator on the sidebar, but I have to know the hours I have ridden, not the miles.  I have only kept a record of an estimate of miles this year.  I checked out a couple of different places and figured I have burned about 16,000 calories when I could have been simply sitting on my backside in my car.  

In terms of my favorite foods, 16,000 calories is:
  • 100 bowls of oatmeal
  • 761 heads of lettuce
  • 355 cucumbers
  • 286 cups of broccoli 
  • 1000 strips of bacon
  • 123 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
  • 26 Burger King Stackers
  • 20 Burger King Triple Stackers
  • 390 bottles of lite beer
  • 76 bottles of Dogfish's 60 minute IPA
  • 35 bottles of  Dogfish's 120 minute IPA
  • 140 ounces of cheddar cheese
Of course, each one of those is 16,000 calories.  If you eat that much food in one sitting, I am not responsible for your waistline.  


Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thousand strips of bacon. Well. That's gonna be rollin' around my head all day, but it's not an unwelcome guest to carry around in there.

I just put together a Calorie/MPG calculator at my little slice of innerweb. It uses a formula I found on wikipedia, with the vertical component removed. I'm thinking about implementing that part of it too. I'd be interested in how the results of my implementation stack up to yours?

Cheers!