Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow Days


Today's trip was more of a "I have to get out of the house" trip. School was canceled on Tuesday because it was cold and snowy. It was probably to treacherous to be out. It may have been a good thing to call off school. Today, it was... well... it was just a tad bit worse than it was when they called off school because the roads were too wet.


Still, I went out. It was not as bad as I would have thought. In fact, I would have ridden a little further if I would have been able to shift gears. I took the Univega out and the derailleur and the rear cog ended up frozen solid. This was the only time I wished I owned a fixed gear bicycle.

Rides like this are what grounds me in cycling. It was cold, but not unpleasant. In fact, I really enjoyed it. It was nice to be out in the weather. Really. I was on the bike in 20 degree weather and snow covered roads. But it was fun. The lady who yelled "You're crazy!" was right on target.


A while back, another blog asked "why do you commute?" When an overwhelming majority answered, "Because it is fun." Someone had the nerve to complain. Waaahhh.... you should ride because it is good for the environment. You should ride because the evil oil companies will suffer. Nope. I do it simply because I enjoy it.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: