Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Too cold to ride today

I don't care what this says. The high temperature in my neck of the woods was a brisk 15 degrees F. That was without the wind chill. I am sure you can look around on the internet and find someone who would be out during weather like this, but I am not one of those people.


Instead, I stayed inside all day. I cooked a killer pot roast. I played around on the internets. While playing around, I found this website that gives some interesting statistics about bicycle commuting.
There are a couple of interesting facts (all cited) on the website, but these three really made a point to me. I know I often harp on the environmental aspect of cycling, but the health aspect is equally as important.
  • Behind tobacco, the leading cause of death among adults is a sedentary lifestyle
  • 61% of adults in the U.S. are overweight or obese. 13% of kids 6-11 and 14% of kids 12-19 are overweight. Obesity os second behind tobacco in U.S. health risk, contributing to 300,000 deaths a year.
  • The number one strategy for reducing a sedentary lifestyle is to shift from driving to walking and/or bicycling

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: