Saturday, August 2, 2008

Night riding

If you have read this blog for a while, you already know that I love riding in the dark.  (If you have not been reading, I also love riding in the snow and the rain.)  Last night was another one of the great rides.  It's not a major ride.  It's only about 13 miles.  I can easily go out and be home in less than an hour.  I love this ride because it takes me to an area that makes me forget that I live so close to a major city.

I am riding down a road with very little car traffic.  It's pretty safe to turn off my lights and enjoy the darkness.  It takes a few seconds, but my eyes adjust.  The glow from Columbus is enough to help me see.  To the left and to the right are corn fields.  The corn is easily eight or nine feet tall.  In the darkness, I feel like it is a corn tunnel.  Fire flies are flashing all over the place.

It's pretty dark, but the sun has not completely set.  There is still an orange glow to the west.  I pulled off the road and sat on the edge of one of the corn fields.  I watched the orange turn more orange and darker until it became completely dark.

Now that the sun has set, it is time to head home.  I'm only two miles from home, but I am still far from everything.  I still don't turn on my lights.  The night does not need to be invaded.  Soon enough I will hear the hear the cars and see the lights, but for now I can enjoy being alone in the dark.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: